Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Scenario

There are times when the tools being used in the classroom are not of a high quality. If a projector or computer is being used, the picture is not clear, the words on the computer screen are not clear. Is this the quality of the machine or the quality of the video being shown on the projector; is the computer the problem or the site that is being visited? As a teacher of science in my country, I want to use a projector to present information to my students. But the quality of the material my students are seeing is very poor. When I want to present the video to my students, the sound is not clear because the product and tools being used are not clear.
I teach a science class and I want to show my students a wonderful video that I was able to use in my own educational process (college). I obtained this video and attempted to show it to my students. But this video was hard to hear / understand, and even the picture was difficult to decipher on the screen. What am I as a teacher to do? I want to show the video I remember seeing earlier as a teaching tool for my classroom. But it was impossible – what can I do now? The administration purchased technology tools for our classrooms. But the problem with this technology is that they didn’t look into the quality of products. At this point this is now affecting my classroom because when the assistant put the technology in the classroom, and I went to my classroom, and started to teach my students I tried to put the pictures in the lap top / computer to present to my students through the projector, but I found three problems. 1) The pictures are not clear for the last student seated in the classroom. 2) The sound and the projector, there was a whistling sound that made the words difficult to understand. 3) Another problem was that the wires of the projector were spread all over the classroom. If one of my students were to touch the wires, they could have been hurt. A problem of quality in the computer lab. The computer is cheap, they didn’t look into hardware, ram/memory and the computers are slow. One day the students opened the computer, I found that it took me a long time to get the computers up and running for the class. The more time I spend working on the computer in order to get it “useable” the less time I have available to teach my class.
Another problem the TV screen is not clear, we are not using the very clear plasma TV screen, in my school we have old televisions, the screen is not clear, as it is an older television. The qualities of tools are affecting my teaching abilities of the teacher in the classroom, and the curriculum. I remembered before three years ago I saved PowerPoint presentation on CD’s but I am finding it difficult to use my CD’s. I don’t know why, but when I ask, my assistant, he tells me the quality of your CD’s are poor. I don’t understand why my CD’s are not working in the classroom. Some of my students come to me and say, “OK, teacher, the CD’s are not working, how are we suppose to learn? As teacher I tell my class that we will use the chalk board today and I will write the information to the board.
Your assignment write about how can this quality be improved? And how can choose the best quality? how are suppose to learn my students?

No comments: